You start the day with great intentions: enjoying a protein-packed breakfast and a healthy lunch. But how often does your eating plan become set aside when the afternoon hunger hits?
If you are trying to get through the mid-day slump, it’s tempting to reach for a candy bar or soda to give you the pick-me-up needed to make it through the end of the day. But these snacks will set back your weight loss goals.
If you want to stay on track with your weight loss or weight maintenance, it’s essential to minimize processed foods and stick with whole-food ingredients instead.
5 Afternoon Snack Ideas
One way to lose weight or maintain your current weight is to prepare healthy afternoon snacks in advance. Then, you have a simple option to grab when you are looking for a snack between meals. Here are a few snack ideas that can be great to supplement your workday. Or, throw them in your bag, so you always have food when you are on the go:
- Trail Mixes: Mixed nuts provide the fuel you need, with an outstanding balance of protein and healthy fats. Look for a trail mix with various nuts and seeds so you can enjoy a range of nutrients from different ingredients.
- Organic Dried Fruit: If you have a sweet tooth, dried fruit can be a great way to manage the craving without refined sugar. Try raisins, apricots, or dehydrated apples.
- Veggies and Dip: Pair a handful of cucumbers, bell peppers, and carrots with your favorite dip. Healthy dip options include guacamole, hummus, or Greek yogurt with dill and celery salt.
- Fresh Fruit: You can’t go wrong with apple slices and peanut butter! This combination is a great way to satisfy your desire for sweet and salty.
- Kale Chips: Get your greens in and enjoy a crunchy snack at the same time. Kale chips can be bought at the health food store. Or, you can make your own at home.