Do you want a sweet treat without the adverse health effects of refined sugar and highly processed snacks? Instead of reaching for a candy bar, dried fruit is a great alternative. This delicious and healthy option provides fiber and nutrients to fuel your body, giving you a great way to avoid the afternoon sugar crash.
Dried Fruit Snack Options
If you enjoy the taste of dried fruit snacks, then there are countless ways you can incorporate these ingredients into your meals and snacks. Here are a few ideas:
- Plain: Some people like to use dried fruit as a simple, standalone snack. Keep a pack of raisins or probiotic apricots to snack on when you need something between meals.
- Trail Mix: Combine dried fruit with nuts and seeds to expand the nutrient profile. The sweetness of the fruit paired with protein-packed nuts is the perfect balance to fuel your body.
- Snack Mix: Serve dried fruit side-by-side with other snack foods, such as pretzels or crackers. These finger foods are fun at a party or used as a healthy alternative when planning a movie night.
- Baking: Whether you are making a loaf of artisan bread or cookies for the family, increase the recipe's nutritional value by adding dried fruit. Raisins can be added as-is, but larger fruit (such as apricots) should be chopped into smaller pieces).
- Breakfast: Stir a bit of dried fruit into a homemade chia seed pudding or bowl of oatmeal. Often, the fruit is enough to sweeten the dish, reducing the need to add sugar or maple syrup.
Keep dried fruit in the house, so you always have a healthy snack option on hand! How long does dried fruit last? Check the expiration date or “Best By” date on the package for a specific timeline. Most dried fruit can last for a while when stored in a cool, dry location. If you want to extend the expiration date, then keep the dried fruit in the fridge.
Dried Fruit and Nut Snacks
At Nature’s Garden, we keep your family fed with a variety of healthy snack solutions. If you want to enjoy a sweet snack and support digestive health at the same time, check out our organic probiotic snacks.