When it comes to holiday treats, there are many options to choose from that can fit with your dietary needs. Adding mixed nuts to cookies or ice cream can increase your intake of protein and omega-3 fatty acids that benefit your body. Roasted almonds can be a simple snack to add to a buffet table, with the bonus of making your home smell amazing. Or you can use almonds to make almond flour and make gluten-free cookies that will offer options to those with gluten dietary restrictions.
This Christmas Shortbread Almond Flour Cookies recipe can be dressed up by dipping the cookies in chocolate and decorating with red and green sprinkles or chopped mixed nuts.
- 2 1/2 cups almond flour
- 4 Tbs butter
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 tsp almond extract
- 1/8 tsp salt
- Add all of the ingredients into a medium-sized bowl and combine.
- Form the dough into a log that is 1.5 inches in diameter.
- Wrap the log in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 15 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Slice the log into 1/4-inch-thick rounds and place on a cookie sheet.
- Bake for 12-14 minutes.
- Let the cookies cool and decorate by dipping half of the cookie in any variety of chocolate, including colored white chocolate. And then add sprinkles or mixed nuts.
- Place on wax paper and wait for the chocolate to set.
These cookies look great on any serving platter and offer a healthier alternative to a holiday spread and a gluten-free option.
Almond Flour tips
- Only blend one cup of almonds at a time until fine.
- Blending raw almonds will result in brown specks in your final product that may look differently had you used store-bought almond flour made from blanched almonds.
- Home-made almond flour is cheaper than store-bought.
At Nature’s Garden, we believe in moderately indulging in sweets to celebrate the holidays while adding nutritional components like nuts to maintain a balanced dietary intake. Our products offer snacks that are rich with antioxidants and omega-3 fatty acids. You will find delicious combinations of organic nuts and dried fruit. We package our snacks conveniently so that you can grab them on the way out the door.