Garbanzo beans (a.k.a. “chickpeas”) pack a versatile punch of healthy goodness. They are commonly found in a variety of cuisine styles and flavored dishes. But, did you know they can also be easily prepared as a standalone savory snack? Roasted chickpeas have a warm, nutty flavor that works well with complementary herbs and spices. High in protein and fiber, they’re a smart way to get your snack fix without any later regrets. Here’s a quick guide to making these crunchy snack bites at home:
- Cooked chickpeas – 2 cans of your preferred brand (approximately 15 oz. per can)
- Olive oil – 1 to 2 Tbsp
- Salt – ½ tsp
Seasonings (Choose one of the following flavor combos)
- Smoked paprika – 2 tsp / Cumin – 1 tsp
- Turmeric – 2 tsp / Ginger – 1 tsp
- Black pepper – 2 tsp / 1 Lime - juice and zest
Note: There’s no wrong way to flavor your roasted chickpeas, so adjust the seasoning amounts according to your own taste preferences. For that matter, add or swap out ingredients however you want!
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or tinfoil.
- Drain and rinse canned chickpeas, then fully pat dry using a paper or dish towel. Remove loose chickpea skins, if any.
- Thoroughly mix chickpeas with olive oil and salt in a bowl, then spread evenly across a lined baking sheet.
- Roast for 30 minutes, gently rolling the chickpeas every 10 minutes for uniformity of roast.
- Remove baking sheet from the oven and dust cover chickpeas with chosen seasonings.
- Return coated chickpeas to oven until crispy (approximately 5-10 more minutes).
Maximum crunch occurs right out of the oven, so roasted chickpeas tend to be at their best while they’re still warm. Keep leftovers at room temperature in an open container to preserve as much crunch as possible. The recipe makes four servings.
Not ready to bake a homemade snack but still looking for something savory to munch? At Nature’s Garden, you’ll find a variety of healthy snack options made with high-quality ingredients. There's something for every snack lover to enjoy, from deluxe roasted nuts and seeds to crispy baked pretzels!