The Keto Diet has become a new, healthy way of living for many, where to begin? Most likely, you’ve heard the word “KETO” a lot over the past year or so. You may even have family or friends who have been on Keto diets for some time now. At first glance, the diet seems like a big life change, but Keto isn’t overly complicated and can be a good nutritional diet for many.
But as always, before starting a diet, make sure to talk to a health care professional on what will be the best diet for your body’s needs. Let’s break down the basics.
Refresher: What is the keto diet?
The keto diet is a low-carb, high-fat diet that helps with weight loss.
How does Keto work?
When drastically reducing the amount of carbs and replacing them with fat, your body is put into a metabolic state of ketosis. This is when your body produces ketone bodies which become the body’s and brain’s main source of energy. This means you burn fat in large amounts as you do your normal every-day activities. Even more when you work out.
Benefits of the keto diet?
This diet offers many health benefits such as weight loss, reducing inflammation, boosting your metabolism, increasing energy, and much more.
Now to the groceries. Instead of listing what you can’t eat, let’s talk about some of the best keto foods you CAN eat (and, not just limited to the items listed below).
- Produce Section: asparagus, avocados, celery, eggplant, kale, lettuce, mushrooms, spinach, zucchini
- Meat & Seafood Counters: beef, chicken, lamb, mussels, oysters, pork, shrimp, white fish
- Deli Counter: sliced chicken, ham, pancetta, pepperoni, turkey, salami
- Dairy Section: eggs, butter, heavy cream, brie, cheddar, mozzarella, parmesan, pepper jack, provolone, swiss
- Snack Section: kale chips, macadamia nuts, Nature’s Garden Keto Snack Mix, seaweed, stevia sweetened dark chocolate, veggie sticks
- Drink Section: club soda, coffee, tea, unsweetened cold brew, unsweetened iced tea
- Other Aisles: avocado oil, bouillon cubes, broth, canned tuna, coconut oil, dried herbs, olive oil
When looking for keto-safe foods, always make sure to check the labels and avoid brands with added sugars and starches. Snacking can be the most challenging part of sticking to a KETO diet, stock up on low carb, high fat snacks like our Nature’s Garden KETO Snack Mix. Having snacks on hand will keep you from “cheating.” Be sure to check out all of our Keto-certified snack options at www.naturesgarden.net.