Are pistachios a good addition to your healthy meal plan? Adding nuts and seeds to your snacking can be a great way to boost your nutrients and support your health at the same time. Pistachios are tree nuts that are loaded with fiber, protein, and antioxidants.
Benefits of Pistachios
Here are just a few reasons why pistachios are known as a great snack food:
- Nutrition of Pistachio: When you eat about 1 ounce of pistachios, you are getting about 159 calories, 3 grams of fiber, 7 grams of carbohydrates, 5 grams of protein, and 12 grams of fat. Plus, these nuts provide other essential nutrients, such as potassium, magnesium, thiamin, vitamin B6, phosphorous, and more.
- Antioxidants and Cellular Health: When you eat a diet high in antioxidants, it plays a vital role in overall health. Antioxidants work to combat free radicals that damage the cells. As a result, you can reduce your risk of cancer, heart disease, and other severe conditions. Pistachios contain a variety of antioxidants, including phytosterols, y-tocopherol, and xanthophyll carotenoids.
- Healthy Eyes: The zeaxanthin and lutein in pistachios are important for protecting eye health. These nutrients have been found to decrease the risk of common eye conditions, such as cataracts and age-related macular degeneration.
- Weight Loss: The combination of protein and fiber in pistachios can help with your weight loss efforts. These nutrient-dense nuts help to satisfy your cravings. If you are on a diet, then pistachios might be an excellent option to use as a snack during the day.
- Balancing Blood Sugar: Another benefit of the combined protein and fiber is that pistachios can help with blood sugar management. These nuts are low on the glycemic index.
Convenient Pistachio Snacks
Some people don’t like to eat pistachios because it can take a bit of time to remove the shells. If you want something simple and convenient, then buy shelled pistachios so you can eat them on the go.